Are you so focused on the end result that you are charging ahead, assuming everyone is with you?
Before you find yourself all alone, here are simple steps to lead through even the trickiest situations:
- Help others see “why” the change is important to make
- Set clear direction and get buy-in for what needs to be accomplished
- Prepare yourself for the change and know what it will take to enroll others
- Map out an implementation plan so others can own the solution
- Be consistent in your own actions
- Keep people in the know with open lines of communication
- Provide frequent feedback and remove obstacles in the way of progress
- Celebrate even the smallest of advancements and people will begin to move in the right direction
When leaders enable others by gaining agreement and buy-in, the momentum of the change begins to shift from the actions of one to the actions of many.